Tuesday, May 26, 2009

LOVE antique shops!

If I had a million dollars I have to admit that a good portion of it would be spent antique-ing. I love blending the old with the new, I love items that might tell you a story if they could talk. When we lost Nathan's grandparents we were blessed to be able to adopt many vintage items from their home. I love knowing where these items came from and how Grandma used them. When I purchase things from a vinatage or antique dealer I have no idea what the story is behind the items, but I wonder...
So this past Memorial Day weekend my sister and I jumped on the opportunity to hit the antique shops outside of Logan, Ohio. As we walked up to the front porch area, the feeling of pure bliss takes me over. I can't tell you how much I LOVE looking at vintage stuff. I guess to some it's stuff or even worse junk, but I look past the flaws and see it's potential! Jess and I saw ALL KINDS of things from a vintage framed Wedding document from the 1930's to a Original metal Star Wars lunch box which was priced correctly at over $40. Oh well.
I was on a mission though, had to stay focused. I was DESPERATE for something to keep my jewelry organized. I already have a great way to display and organize my necklaces. My dear friend Lori and I made these last year and they are PERFECTLY up and away from little hands


Now my earrings, bracelets and rings on the other hand were drowning in each other on my nightstand ( which is a vintage piece from Grandma...I think I might be refinishing it soon...more projects!) I had a draw full of craziness and it layed ALL OVER the top...it was MADNESS! What a shame, as my Grandma would say.
So back to my shopping...I needed something to help with this situation, and I was overwhelmed. I wanted something glass or ceramic and it needed to have some sort of dividing going on.
Well then came the vintage jewelry, it was calling to me! I found a FABULOUS etsy seller that takes vintage jewelry and recycles it into new pieces. LOVE this idea!
So I came across a brooch, some beads and later found a necklace...oh that have SO MUCH potential

You'll have to wait and see what becomes of this :) By the way...this was a grand total of $11...the best part! THEN this little $5 ring jumped on my hand and I couldn't let this one go...I stinkn' LOVE IT!!!

Geez, can you see how distracting this process is??? I came here to find something to PUT my jewelry IN, not buy MORE jewelry!! I found some small glass dishes, I wasn't in love yet, but on the right track. It was crunch time, we had gone through EVERY booth and I wasn't in love...I was discouraged until I saw this beauty...it was YELLOW! So happy! For $14 this was PERFECT...ok so nevermind that it's a deviled egg serving dish. It's got the little places for my earrings...perfect! I wonder what sweet little hostess displayed her family recipe deviled eggs on this dish?? Did she have a yellow kitchen? I wonder.... I found a yellow glass dish that fir PERFECTLY in the middle for my bracelets and another glass dish for my rings! I was in love for sure!!! So here's they are...in their new home with a whole new purpose. Now I just need to refinish the nightstand! Cause I need another project!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I would LOVE to go! I want to take my mom when she gets here but we can't take the kids to places like that.

Tracy said...

Amber - saw the link to your blog on your Facebook, by the way :) Have you ever been to Alley Cat Chic on Smithville in Dayton, near the Wilmington/Smithville split? I think you would really like it. A very neat store.

Pumpkin Head Baby Co said...

I'm still mad about that ring. :) Can't wait to see how the necklace turns out.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "LOVE antique shops! " to our Directory of Shopping . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


Warm Regards

Best Mart Team

http://www.bestmart.info