Saturday, June 13, 2009

Why I HATE mice...

I think I may have jinxed myself with my last post title...why did I even mention mice?? I guess if they could all look like this guy, I would totally be ok, infact I would welcome him and his gang into my home! But who I saw today was NOT him!


My *relationship* with mice started about 11 years ago. And in using the term *relationship* I mean I HATE MICE!!!!
This month actually 11 years ago I was 7 months pregnant with Madelyn. My sister and I flew out the Washington State to visit my Uncle, Aunt and cousins. While we were there we came up with a brilliant idea to drive to Mt. Rainier and go camping...that's right while 7 months preggo, I went camping!

Our night in the camper started out just fine. All 7 of us got cozy in there, I found myself placed closest to the door...hmmm must have been the 7 months preggo part the bladder challenges that come with that.
Once all was still and quiet I had yet to fall asleep, when I heard *things* running across the top of the canvas camper. Back and forth, back and forth...right above my head! I laid there waiting for someone else to comment on the commotion, nope nothing, they were all sound asleep. My sister laid next to me and she was out, couldn't even get her to wake up to listen for it.
So I continued to listen, picturing in my mind that it was a cute family of squirrels having a late night party on the roof top of the Jayco. Well that vision came to a close in just moments.
Like I said, I was camped closest to the door of the camper and you can see here how the door is metal and the canvas is surrounding the door. The the left is where I was laying.
As the party on the roof got quiet, I began to hear scratching at the edge of the door and the canvas....yes, right next to my head. Seriously I'm sick just reliving this.
I then decided to create a sleeping bag caccoon, covering up EVERY inch of my body, NOTHING could break ( or eat) through this Fort Kn*x that I had created.
As the scratching at the door stopped, I then heard a faint pattering across the floor of the camper. At this point I was about to loose it. And still NO ONE else was awake, I quietly called for those around me and no one cared to wake up! I was being tortured ALONE!
After the journey across the floor, I could now hear noises at the foot of my bed where the sink and counter was. There was a bag of trail mix on the counter that was now being enjoyed by more than just us campers. Oh yes, there was no longer a roof top party, we apparently send the word out by the whiffs of trail mix, and they moved the party INSIDE!
After cheeks got stuffed, the scampering across the floor took place again, the scratching at the door continued and then I heard just a race across the canvas roon( as apposed to a party). This pattern continued for quite a while. And yes I laid there trying to breathe in my sleeping bag caccoon. This is quite fun...camping at Mt. Rainier. Kinda wish though that someone had the decentcy to just mention to me that there are times where the wildlife come IN to where we are and we share with them God's provisions. Just wish SOMEONE could have shared that with me before I got myself stuck in a sleeping bag caccoon. Geez!! Family!
Well, I was at my limit. I devised a plan, I could shimmy my way out of the caccoon and at just the right time ( which would be AFTER the door scratching and DURING the roof race...any other time might be really bad)I would make a bee-line for the family van. Surly that is a MICE-FREE enviroment!
Ok..I got the right time and I flew my 7 month pg body out of the caccoon and flung open the door. Oh but look, there was a little something there on the step.
A little brown mouse just stood there on his back two legs FROZEN. Oh darn, sure didn't mean to scare YOU! He looked up at me as if to say "oh wow thanks for opening up the door for us, this will make this process a whole lot easier".
I covered my scream up well and ran to the van. I laid in there waiting for my heart rate to head back down to a *normal camping* rate. Not sure what that was, sure hadn't arrived there yet.
I had no idea what time it was, 3am, 11pm, 1am??? No idea. And after I sat in there for some time I could no longer ignore the bladder issues a pg lady has. I HAD to go ( the stress wasn't helping) My sweet Uncle had mentioned before he dozed off into a camping coma, that if I needed to hike up to the bathrooms that he wanted me to wake him up and he would walk up there with me.
So wondering if I could really wake him up, earlier my panic whispering "MICE, MICE...anyone care?? WE HAVE MICE" I guess wasn't enough. But now I had to GO, so I went back towards the camper and there on the door frame ( as if it was Passover) was blood smeared down the side. The mice were *that* determined to get in and out that blood was shed. I have a feeling going in wasn't too bad, it was shimming back out with thier cheeks shoved full of trail mix, that wasn't fiting through so well against the metal side. Oh well, actually didn't really feel so bad for them.
My Uncle did wake up as I called his name and informed him of my need for a hike. I didn't say anything to him until half way up the hill he said "So how's your night been, are you sleeping alright?"
Honestly, I was tempted to not say what was going on in the camper, I kinda felt like this is what normally takes place on their camping trips. Maybe they work out some deal with Mickey and his friends and the trail mix really wasn't for us, it's all for them to partake in through the night. Maybe they are protecting us from a larger creature???
Anyway, I did quietly mention that I wasn't sleeping AT ALL. I actually left the camper and retreated into the van to get away from the mice situation.
He had NO IDEA what I was talking about. So as got back to the camper, I showed him the passover markings and explained to him their pattern, racing across the top, shimming through the canvas and door seam, scampering across the floor and then enjoying the trailmix on the counter. He was shocked, he had never had this happen before and at this point everyone in the camper was awake hearing the commotion.
Oh yeah, NOW they all wake up!
So my Uncle set up a trap over the sick with a dixie cup and trail mix, we laid in tourturous silence and we waited for the RETURN, and they did. My Uncle was in charge of the flash/spot light. As they got onto the counter, he caught them in the beam and we watched them fall to their peril.
I might have then slept for 45 min that night...it was now morning!
THAT was my experience where my HATE for mice started....
Fast forward to today...
Zumba was cancelled so I was doing my own in the basement, when in the middle of *Caliente'* I caught a glimpse of a little brown invation running arcoss the floor.
I'm afraid that I set a very poor example for my boys as I screamed and ran for the phone. Nate was at L*wes' and I thought he might be able to get SOMETHING to take care of this.
Of course, his phone went right to voice mail, at a time like this??!!! GEEZ!!
Logan came down the stairs with a broken peice of baby swiss cheese, he knew *THIS* would catch it. Clayton kept lifting up the toys to see if it was there. I kept yelling to STOP doing that, it might run towards me!!!
Nate then walked in the door, holding a rake...PERFECT!
He came down and as Clay moved a toy, there it went...running for it's life.
I was at this point on the back of the couch in fetal postion screaming.
Then Nate yells at me after I heard a large *smack* of the rake.
"Amber, I've got it, now come down here and grab it or it might get away!"
WHAT??????????????? Does he know who I am???????? THERE IS NO WAY I AM COMING DOWN, AND NO WAY WOULD I GRAB IT.
I heard the neighbor was out mowing the lawn, so I ran past Nate ( dangerously close to the trapped rodent), I could see it smashed there inbetween the rake and our lovely new carpet...perfect.
I was a sweaty mess and my heart rate was sky high, not so much due to the Zumba. I explained to my neighbor my husband's request of me that I just couldn't help him with and he came right over to the rescue.
I them proceeded into a whole differnt part of the house, as the kids came running to see the mouse now in a bag being taken outside.
Emma was yelling "please don't kill it Dad"...uhhhh he better kill it, don't you dare talk him into setting it free in the field...he'll be right back in here!!
Then graciously our neighbor mentions as he walks out "well usually where there's one, there's more"
Oh thanks...I'll rest easy now.
I HATE MICE!!!!!!! Great start to my day!

1 comment:

The McDowell Family: CCS Resport said...

Oh, Amber, I can completely sympathize with you on this. I have an absolute FEAR, PHOBIA, and HATE for rodents (rats and mice). I'm literally terrified of them. So, when 3 years ago and almost 7 months pregnant, a furry little creature run under my legs from under the washing machine, I lost it. Scott knew I was scared of these things, but he never fully understood until that moment. We scoured our entire basement for one little vole (yes, it was a vole, based on what the exterminator said). Until this day, I'm still freaked out when I'm in our basement, and it's finished and everything, yet I can't enjoy it, especially when I'm working out too!:)