Friday, December 2, 2011

What's in a box?


Are you wondering what's in those beautiful boxes?? I know you probably filled your box with candy, toys, puzzles, new socks, hair bows, matchbox cars and school supplies...good job!! But our (MG and I)have found that many boxes DON'T have the typical items included. Oh just you wait...
But before I share with you what interesting items we have found during our inspections, let me tell you about what Operation Christmas Child is all about.


OCC is all about the children that will be receiving a box, and they don't look at these children as a large group, but as individuals. Each child has dreams and hopes and many have even prayed for a gift to come their way.
I can guess what they might have prayed for...a doll, school supplies, a new hat. But there just might be a child with a differnt prayer.
OCC stops several times through out the day as we process boxes and shares a story of a received box. Yesterday, they even brought up one of the young volunteers that we had seen working hard through out the day. Years earlier HE had received a shoebox when he lived overseas as a young child. HE had PRAYED for a new pair of DRESS shoes so he could go to school, his parents just couldn't afford them. Is it no surprise that the box that seemingly was RANDOMLY handed to him had a brand new pair of DRESS shoes JUST HIS SIZE!
OCC talked about *keeping the integrity of the box* We will find bozes marked BOYS that have bows and purses in them. But they know of storied where boys have been praying for a gift to give their Momma for Christmas, and their prayers are answered. So they encourage us to KEEP THE INTEGRITY if we can.
Yep, I thought it was strange yesterday when I opened a box full of random hand tools, including a crow bar! I even asked one of our team leaders if I should throw it out...( crow bars have a bad reputation ya know).
But as a started listening to the Lord speak to me...this older boy may now have what he needs and may even been praying for, to build and provide for his family!!! God lead that packer to PACK THOSE THINGS JUST FOR HIM! And HE will be the one to receive THAT BOX!! Our God does that!!!
I almost threw out a antique lead dog figurine, the paint was all chipped off, he was VERY OLD and on the bottom in was marked made in Germany. I knew it was actually worth money, a vintage collectable!! It was wrapped nicely in the middle of the box in a tissue...someone took the time to do that. I don't know why. Again, I asked our team OCC leader if it was ok. It was in such poor condition. She had this look on her face. I knew what she was thinking. Keep it in there. Then I heard the Lord again...someone is praying for a dog. He knows the child that will receive THIS box!
More stories to come.....I can't wait to tell you MY FAVORITE thing to do...

1 comment:

Love said...

love this so much. we love filling OCC boxes, praying over them & seeing where they go. love how He is in the smallest of details.